Re: Press release ready?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press release ready?
Date: 2002-11-25 20:40:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
<snip>
> You're forgetting that this needs to be translated into several
> languages. The translators need a final version to work with -- at
> least a day before the release. Further, we'll need to prep it for
> e-mail out. So we need as much time as possible.
>
> Actually, a press release is a *lot* like a program in the need for
> "feature freeze" and coordinated timing.

Josh is 100% correct here. The central co-ordination language we use is
English, and that version of the Press Release needs to be in a
finalised and read-only state so the translators have something to work
from.

Having it change mid-translation or after-translation can get messy
fast.

> Justin, as the Advocacy Admin, I'm asking you to declare an end to
> tinkering as soon as the current changes are in and we have quote
> attribution. We really cannot afford to have the release go out a
> week after the 7.3.

It's possible to "freeze" a page in the PostgreSQL Guides section from
edits/comments/etc, easily. It's a simple permissions checkbox that is
changed for that page through the web-based Zope Management Interface.

We should probably create accounts for a few recognised Advocacy members
on the Zope side of things, so that admin related changes like this can
be done with a minimum of delay. Very small learning curve involved.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> -Josh Berkus