Can't get JDBC BLOB online manual example working

From: nvadekar(at)netscape(dot)net (Neal Vadekar)
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can't get JDBC BLOB online manual example working
Date: 2001-01-06 22:49:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

In the online manual is gives the following eg. on how to access a blob uisng
jdbc:

PreparedStatement ps = con.prepareStatement("select oid from images where
name=keyfield");
ps.setString(1,"myimage.gif");
ResultSet rs = ps.executeQuery();
if(rs!=null) {
while(rs.next()) {
InputStream is = rs.getBinaryInputStream(1);
// use the stream in some way here
is.close();
}
rs.close();
}
ps.close();

I have tried this to no avail. The getBinaryInputStream method is not
available in the packages that are included in the JSP page. I don't know
why, I know the select statement is working, but it only works when I have
the line with getBinaryInputStream commented out. How do I get access to
that method? I am using jdbc7.0.1-2.jar. I thought that by using the jdbc
driver, that method would be available to me???

I tried getBinaryStream, instead of getBinaryInputStream, but then I get the
following error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: FastPath call returned ERROR: Relation 0
does not exist

I then changed everthing to a BLOB object instead of InputStream as follows:

byte[] blob1 = rs1.getBytes("photoblob"); \\photoblob is the name of the field

but I still keep getting the:

javax.servlet.ServletException: FastPath call returned ERROR: Relation 0
does not exist

error. How do I get past this error, it is killing me! What does Relation 0
does not exist mean? What is the FastPath error. Every object and method I
try to use to access the BLOB results in that same error. I am using RedHat
7.0, Postgresql 7.02 and Tomcat 3.2.1.

HELP, and Thanks in advance.

Neal Vadekar

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/