Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits

From: Medi Montaseri <medi(dot)montaseri(at)intransa(dot)com>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>, pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Closing inactive connections OR user connections limits
Date: 2002-11-20 22:47:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Its my understanding that vacuum actually removes tuples that have been
updated or deleted.
Sort of like emptying your trash .... whence a tuple has been removed,
no rollback can set the
state back. If you have logically removed a tuple (not vacuumed yet),
then one can rollback,
but if you vacuum then you can not rollback.

Now suppose transaction A decides to delete some tuples, a vacuum job
comes along and
deletes things (in parallel), trans A decides to rollback....engines who
support parallel
vacuum-ing and transactions such as PG 7.2 better have a way of
protecting themselves
against this....

Correct me if ...