Comparing Numeric and Double Precision (float8)..

From: Terry Yapt <pgsql(at)technovell(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Comparing Numeric and Double Precision (float8)..
Date: 2002-11-04 08:11:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello all,

i DON'T know what is the proper forum to throw this question and I must
to insist in this "feature". Sorry.

I have a lot of tables from Oracle 8i Databases with a lot of columns
with numeric(x,0) definition.

Ok.. I am traslating my oracle tables to PostgreSQL tables. But I am
having a serious problem with my client aplications.

When I compare a numeric(x,0) field with a float8 field I have an error
on PostgreSQL what I didn't have with Oracle. I mean:

CREATE test (one numeric(2,0));

SELECT * FROM test WHERE one = 1.00000;

This runs fine on my Oracle Systems.. but I have problems with my
PostgreSQL system. I have tried to create an operator to workaround
this inconvenience:

numeric '=' float8
with CREATE OPERATOR command and calling to a function to return a
boolean.

Ok.. great.. It is running now. But when it runs.. I have another
problems comparing numeric with integers and so on. So I must to DROP
OPERATOR......

I don't understand what is the problem and what options I have to
workaround it (without re-write a lot of client applications).

I have a lot of code I don't want to modify. The question is:

Why we cannot compare numeric with double precision ? And why Oracle or
SQL can do it without problems ?

Thanks a lot.