Re: OO future

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: OO future
Date: 2002-10-30 16:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There's a nice simple book from 1999 by Stonebreaker and a technologist
form Informix about object-relational features. PostgreSQL has
definately started to lag on that front, while shoring up other aspects
of the RDBMS. A simple (simple?) start might just be supporting dot
notation and other syntactical niceties around the table-as-column concept.

We have recently had an opportunity to evaluate the object relational
capabilities of Oracle9i, and sad to say, they have finally surpassed
PgSQL on the OO front in this release. Very easy composite type creation
on the command line, composite types are easily indexable based on their
attributes (a custom type which wraps a spatial type can be indexed
spatially, etc), function adding is easy too. Now, adding completely new
types in C might be hell, but we haven't checked that yet :)

P.

--
__
/