OO future

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: OO future
Date: 2002-10-30 08:08:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I read a presentation about Object-Oriented features in relation DBs.
The nice are UDT (user defined type):

CREATE TABLE person (
name varchar(32),
address ROW( street varchar(32),
town varchar(32)),
age int
);

INSERT INTO person VALUES ('Bill', ('Somestreet', 'Sometown'), 33);

SELECT name, address.town FROM person;

We have composite types in PostgreSQL and I think we can use it for this:

CREATE TYPE addr AS (street varchar(32), town varchar(32));
CREATE TABLE person (
name varchar(32),
address addr,
age int
);

Comments? I nothinig found about OO in the current TODO. BTW, my
examples are only small part of possible OO features, the others
ideas are for example define PRIVATE/PUBLIC attributes in composite
types and methods, "SELECT p.name FROM person p WHERE p.pay->tax() > 100;"

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/