Understanding pg_dump/pg_restore

From: Nick Sayer <nsayer(at)quack(dot)kfu(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Understanding pg_dump/pg_restore
Date: 2002-10-28 16:59:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi. I have been a happy user of PostgreSQL for some time now. I am
begining a project that, much to my very slight annoyance, will involve
either CLOBs or BLOBs. My understanding is that neither is backed-up by
pg_dumpall (my backup strategy is that I do a pg_dumpall and mark the
actuall database itself as "don't back up"). In fact, one is encouraged
to use pg_dump -Fc -b to do it.

1. Does this apply to CLOBs as well or only BLOBs? That is, if I used
CLOBs, could I expect them to be backed up by the current system? If so,
I can use CLOBs happily and just shut up right here and now. :-)

2. Moving to a binary storage format for backups is slightly more
frightening. Is there any guarantee at all concerning the portability of
the pg_dump -Fc output across PostgreSQL versions?