High Availability PostgreSQL solution?

From: "Charles H(dot) Woloszynski" <chw(at)clearmetrix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: High Availability PostgreSQL solution?
Date: 2002-10-25 01:13:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

[This is a re-post.. my initial attempt seemed to have been lost.
Apologies for any duplication]

We are looking to create a two-machine high-availability configuration
for PostgreSQL. We have been pursuing using something like rserv, but
this appears to be more of a slave sync tool. Actually, this is also
important to us (as we expect we will need to scale to lots of readers
doing queries on the database (we are running datamart of website
performance metrics).

But, rserv (and eRServer, its commercial cousin) dont seem to have a
hot-standby capability at the moment. I have looked through some of the
PostgreSQL archives and I've seen articles about other approaches, but I
mostly see replication engines (which are a good thing, but not what I
am hunting for).

I saw one posting that suggested using a clustered filesystem; is this
an option? Has anyone done postgreSQL on a replicating/clustered file
system with decent performance? Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski