Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date: 2002-09-26 14:58:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On 26 Sep 2002 at 10:42, Tom Lane wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > If it's any help, when I was testing recently with WAL on a separate
> > drive, the WAL logs were doing more read&writes per second than the main
> > data drive.
>
> ... but way fewer seeks. For anything involving lots of updating
> transactions (and certainly 5000 separate insertions per second would
> qualify; can those be batched??), it should be a win to put WAL on its
> own spindle, just to get locality of access to the WAL.

Probably they will be a single transcation. If possible we will bunch more of
them together.. like 5 seconds of data pushed down in a single transaction but
not sure it's possible..

This is bit like replication but from live oracle machine to postgres, from
information I have. So there should be some chance of tuning there..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Langsam's Laws: (1) Everything depends. (2) Nothing is always. (3) Everything
is sometimes.