Re: Improving speed of copy

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving speed of copy
Date: 2002-09-23 06:34:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20 Sep 2002 at 18:41, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> > In select test where approx. 15 rows where reported with query on index field,
> > mysql took 14 sec. and psotgresql took 17.5 sec. Not bad but other issues
> > eclipse the result..
>
> I don't know about anyone else but I find this aspect strange. That's 1 second
> (approx.) per row retrieved. That is pretty dire for an index scan. The
> data/index must be very non unique.

Sorry for late reply.. The numbers were scaled off.. Actually my fiend forgot
to add units to those number.. The actual numbers are 140ms for mysql and 17
5ms for postgresql.. Further since result are obtained via 'time psql' higher
overhead of postgres connection establishement is factored in..

Neck to neck I would say..

Bye
Shridhar

--
Steele's Law: There exist tasks which cannot be done by more than ten men or
fewer than one hundred.