Re: Physical sites handling large data

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: Physical sites handling large data
Date: 2002-09-17 13:57:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 17 Sep 2002 at 8:59, Ericson Smith wrote:

> Out Vacuum frequency is once daily, with EXPLAINS happening every 2
> hours.
>
> We use the default kernel buffer settings.

I must say you have a good database installation. As many people have found and
documented before, an in time vacuum can almost double the performance.

And I am really amazed that things worked with default buffer settings. AFAIK,
it takes upto half the physical RAM for buffers. But many distro. (for linux at
least) limit it to 200MB or half the RAM. So that on huge RAM, it would not eat
up all..

Bye
Shridhar

--