Re: Open Source Database article

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)empires(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open Source Database article
Date: 2002-09-17 07:52:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Davis wrote:

>I'd like to point out that many people replied arguing against the autor's
>statements, claiming that the commercial RDBMSs actually do support
>standards, and also arguing that the other benefits of commercial RDBMSs
>weren't mentioned.
>
>I'm not an Oracle DBA, so I don't know all the facts. But take what the
>article says with a grain of salt, and check the facts.

Being an Oracle Dba - but recovered now :-) I can say that 1 or 2
comments were a little out of date ( Oracle does *now* - at last
supports ansi joins) - but the general intent of the article is dead on !

For 10 years or so, it never failed to astonish me that people would pay
$$$$$$$ for a cd with Oracle on it ( ok - 3 cd's now) ... its great to
be able to say - you dont have to - get Postgresql (or for that matter
MySql/Firebird etc etc - but we prefer Postgresql here....) !

Best wishes

Mark