Re: Accessing original TupleDesc from SRF

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: John Gray <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Accessing original TupleDesc from SRF
Date: 2002-08-30 14:46:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Gray wrote:
> Please correct me if I've got this wrong, but it appears from the SRF
> API, that a SRF cannot readily refer to the TupleDesc to which it is
> expected to conform (i.e. the TupleDesc derived from the FROM clause of
> an original SELECT statement) because that is held in the executor state
> and not copied or linked into the function context.

[snip]

> Does this sound completely crazy?

Not crazy at all. I asked the same question a few days ago:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-08/msg01914.php

Tom suggested a workaround for my purpose, but I do agree that this is
needed in the long run. I looked at it briefly, but there was no easy
answer I could spot. I'll take another look today.

Joe