Postmasters in sleeping mode

From: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postmasters in sleeping mode
Date: 2008-02-06 07:50:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Team,

I am on Solaris-9 and Pgsql-7.4.2. This database is running on the live
production server. It takes more than 5 minutes to update one single
query. This is very horrible and completely not acceptable on the live.
We had scheduled Vacuum on daily basis at low traffic time of the day.
Due to this, the client application is getting time out and the
particular transaction is getting failed.

We observed numbers of postmaster processes are running in the sleeping
mode. We also observed some of the processes are running with the
previous dates. The maximum connections configures is 100, but I can see
number of transactions around 200 at some time of the day(May be peak
time of transactions). Pls advice me to get rid of this.

User Pid PPID Status Time Etime Stime
Command

-------- ---- ---- ------ --- ---------- --------
-----------------

pgsql 2519 1 S 1:45 30-20:50:51 Jan_06
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 2522 2519 S 0:09 30-20:50:51 Jan_06
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15540 2519 S 0:00 8:26 10:31:07
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 2523 2522 S 0:13 30-20:50:51 Jan_06
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15532 2519 S 0:00 9:05 10:30:29
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15233 2519 S 4:42 49:03 09:50:30
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15278 2519 S 0:36 43:17 09:56:16
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15335 2519 S 0:17 35:57 10:03:36
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15336 2519 S 0:08 35:54 10:03:39
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15330 2519 S 0:15 36:10 10:03:23
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15535 2519 S 0:00 9:05 10:30:29
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15261 2519 S 1:33 45:29 09:54:04
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15283 2519 S 0:22 42:30 09:57:03
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15539 2519 S 0:00 8:26 10:31:07
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15538 2519 S 0:00 8:26 10:31:07
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15365 2519 S 0:09 32:32 10:07:01
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15371 2519 S 0:09 31:47 10:07:46
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15534 2519 S 0:00 9:05 10:30:29
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15533 2519 S 0:00 9:05 10:30:29
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15260 2519 S 1:27 46:07 09:53:26
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15537 2519 S 0:00 8:26 10:31:07
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15235 2519 S 0:00 48:35 09:50:58
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15236 2519 S 0:00 48:35 09:50:58
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15222 2519 S 5:37 49:36 09:49:57
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

pgsql 15329 2519 S 0:21 36:25 10:03:08
/db1/postgresql/bin/postmaster

Regards,

G. V. Suresh Gupta

Innovative Technology Solutions(ITS), Zensar Technologies

Zensar Knowledge Park, Plot#5, MIDC IT Tower,

Kharadi, Off Nagar Road, Pune - 411014

Landline : +91-20-66453471 | +91-9890898688

Email : suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com | website: www.zensar.com

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s) and the views expressed in the same are not necessarily the views of Zensar Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail by error, its use is strictly prohibited, please delete the e-mail and notify the sender. Zensar Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.