Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date: 2002-08-05 04:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>
>>These are all with FUNC_MAX_ARGS = 16.
>

>>#define NAMEDATALEN 32
>>2.7M /opt/data/pgsql/data/base/1
>

>>#define NAMEDATALEN 64
>>3.0M /opt/data/pgsql/data/base/1
>

>>#define NAMEDATALEN 128
>>3.8M /opt/data/pgsql/data/base/1
>

> Based on Joe's numbers, I'm kind of thinking that we should go for
> FUNC_MAX_ARGS=32 and NAMEDATALEN=64 as defaults in 7.3.
>
> Although NAMEDATALEN=128 would be needed for full SQL compliance,
> the space penalty seems severe. I'm thinking we should back off
> until someone wants to do the legwork needed to make the name type
> be truly variable-length.

FWIW, I reran the speed benchmark (select 2+2+2...) with
FUNC_MAX_ARGS=32 and NAMEDATALEN=128 and still got 49 seconds, i.e.
NAMEDATALEN=128 didn't impact performance of that particular test.

The results were as follows:
INDEX_MAX_KEYS 16 32 64 128
Time in seconds 48 49 51 55
^^^^^^^^
reran with NAMEDATALEN=128, same result

What will the impact be on a medium to large production database? In
other words, is the bloat strictly to the system catalogs based on how
extensive your database schema (bad choice of words now, but I don't
know a better term for this) is? Or will the bloat scale with the size
of the database including data?

Joe