Re: CREATE SYNONYM suggestions

From: Marc Lavergne <mlavergne-pub(at)richlava(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM suggestions
Date: 2002-07-24 21:27:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I thought that it might involve more than met the eye. I'm resisting the
"view" approach since, like my bad kludge, it locks down the table
definition and as a result doesn't provide a very effective synonym
mechanism.

I'm looking into the commands/view.c as a basis for introducing the
concept of synonyms. Based on what I see, it looks like implementing it
should be too terrible. Sadly, it looks a lot like this would require
introducing a new relation type.

I'll have to investigate and possibly submit the patch(es) later. The
question is, since CREATE SYNONYM appears to be a SQL extension, is this
something the group would want to incorporate?