Newbie: Creative use of LIMIT??

From: "Shmuel A(dot) Kahn" <Shmuel(at)Kam-motion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Newbie: Creative use of LIMIT??
Date: 2002-07-17 02:20:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello all,
Being pretty new at SQL, I have a problem I don't know how to solve.

Assuming I have the following two tables of people and their nicknames,
and that I want to create a list containing UPTO 2 (or any value
greater than 1) nicknames for EACH member of a specific family (Fam
column), how would I do this?

I know how to get ALL of the nicknames for the family:

SELECT "MEMBERS"."Name", "NICKS"."Nickname"
FROM "NICKS",
(SELECT "PEOPLE"."ID", "PEOPLE"."Name" FROM "PEOPLE"
WHERE "PEOPLE"."Fam" = 1) AS "MEMBERS"
WHERE "NICKS"."ID" = "MEMBERS"."ID"
ORDER BY "MEMBERS"."Name"

but am totally clueless on how to impose a limit on the number of rows
to get for each individual family MEMBER.

Can it be done in a single query? I sure hope so. Any help?

Shmuel A. Kahn

PEOPLE
Fam |ID | Name | Yada1 Yada2 ....
----------------------------------
1 | 1 | George .....
1 | 2 | Sally .....
1 | 3 | Joe .....
1 | 4 | Barbara .....
2 | 5 | DarthVader .....

NICKS
ID | Nickname
------------------
1 | Pops
1 | BigChief
1 | Honcho
2 | Mums
2 | YesMother
3 | JoeJoe
3 | Bumpkin
3 | Jug
4 | Barb
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
Shmuel A. Kahn
Shmuel(at)Kam-motion(dot)com