Re: Why I like partial solutions

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why I like partial solutions
Date: 2002-06-27 14:13:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> > So, when we review patches, we shouldn't be turning up our noses at
> > imperfect solutions if the solution meets needs of our users.
>
> I think our standards have gone up over the years, and properly so.
> The fact that we put in hacks some years ago doesn't mean that we
> still should.
>
> I don't really mind hacks^H^H^Hpartial solutions that are clean subsets
> of the functionality we want to have eventually. I do object to hacks
> that will create a backwards-compatibility problem when we want to do it
> right.

I absolutely agree on that. If we at some point want to have a given
feature, we need to avoid backward compatibility problems.

As for features that are independent, don't break anything, just
add-on's that can happily swim around in contrib (but stay out of the
deep water), we might want to become a bit more relaxed again.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #