Re: how to sort a birthday list ?

From: Michael Agbaglo <byteshifter(at)shifted-bytes(dot)de>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to sort a birthday list ?
Date: 2002-06-21 08:30:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear Josh,

if you sort by AGE then the order will be young -> old or vice versa.
I'd like to have the list sorted as interval birthDAY, birthMONTH and
DAY from NOW() and MONTH from NOW().

example:

22.06.64 Person-1
26.06.50 Person-2
01.08.69 Person-3
02.08.71 Person-4

of course you could sort by DOY but then you'll have a problem w/ the
next year:

if it's let's say december and you select the list for the next 60 days,
persons having birthday in december will appear after persons having
birthday in january.

I tried to use CASE WHEN... THEN in ORDER BY but it doesn't seem to work
(syntax error at '')

M.