Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in
Date: 2002-06-20 13:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> [...]
> As for current PostgreSQL organization, can someone explain me which W32 port
> will make its way to PostgreSQL main source code? Can someone publish a
> schedule for replication availability? Who is in charge of explaining newbees
> that MySQL InnoDB is just a marketing lie? What is the current PostgreSQL
> market share?

I think the first native Win32 port that gets contributet will make it.
So far I have seen a couple of people claiming the "have" a native Win32
port, not using CygWIN. But none of them was willing to contribute their
work.

There is no official "schedule" for any of the features. PostgreSQL is a
100% volunteer project, so people work on it if and when they feel the
need to AND have the time. Even if some of us do work on PostgreSQL at
their job, a few even fulltime, you will not see such commitments.

And why do you think InnoDB is a marketing lie? It bought MySQL a good
number of features, including row level locking, transactions and
limited foreign key support. Actually it stopped MySQL from yelling out
the FUD they told people far too long, like "transactions are useless
overhead" and "referential integrity is bad".

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #