is it easy to change the create sequence algorithm?

From: Kevin Brannen <kevinb(at)nurseamerica(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: is it easy to change the create sequence algorithm?
Date: 2002-06-19 00:16:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

I see in the docs that when I create a column that is of type SERIAL,
the engine automatically creates the sequence for me, named
TABLE_COLUMN_seq. That's great until the table name + column name
lengths are > 27 chars, then it starts chopping, and you guessed it, I
have multiple table/column combinations that don't differ until after
that length.

Is there a way to influence the "create sequence" generator with a
directive, hint, set value, whatever, to be something else? (e.g.
COLUMN_seq if I guarantee all the columns are unique)

Yes I know that I could create the sequence myself, but the engine does
such a good job. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin