Re: New string functions; initdb required

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Ken Hirsch <kenhirsch(at)myself(dot)com>
Cc: hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New string functions; initdb required
Date: 2002-06-13 13:01:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the info! I have a question...

> As usual: ( ) + * [ ] |
> Instead of dot . there is underscore _
> There is % to mean .* just like LIKE
> There is no ? or ^ or $
> Regular expressions match the whole string, as if there were an
> implicit ^ before and $ after the pattern. You have to add % if
> you want to match anywhere in a string.

Hmm. So if there are no explicit anchors then there must be a slightly
different syntax for the regular-expression version of the substring()
function? Otherwise, substrings would always have to start from the
first character, right?

Percents and underscores carried over from LIKE are really annoying.
I'll think about implementing an expression rewriter to convert SQL99 to
our modern regexp syntax.

- Thomas