Re: Missing types in C header files

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tony Griffiths <tony(dot)griffiths(at)cs(dot)man(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing types in C header files
Date: 2002-06-08 01:03:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tony Griffiths wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to start to program with the PostgreSQL's geometric primitive
> types, and have started to write some code using them (PostgreSQL
> version 7.1.3, installed from source). However when I
> include the file utils/geo_decls.h I get an error starting that the type
> PGFunction (found in a file included from geo_decls.h) cannot be found.
>
> I've done a search of all the header files in my installation (and also
> all the source files that I compiled), and cannot find the definition of
> the PGFunction type. Does anyone have any idea of where I can find this
> definition, or of why it might be missing.

Hmm. I'm not sure (having not integrated client-side handling of these
types using Postgres' own definition of the structures) but I think that
these definitions are not intended for you to use directly. There is a
set of include files intended for client-side programs, and perhaps this
data type needs to be mentioned there. Or perhaps we make no provision
for that (yet) and you are on your own. Perhaps someone else will speak
up on The Right Way To Do This?

- Thomas