Standby server lagging behind

From: "Huda Booley (huda(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za)" <Huda(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Standby server lagging behind
Date: 2010-01-22 08:42:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

We are running postgres8.3.9 and have enabled log shipping replication. Our standby server is about 1000 files BEHIND - everything I've read indicates that the standby server should be very close behind the live server - at the rate we're going it will take 8 hours to apply all the logs to standby! How can I speed up the recovery process on the standby server?

Some info
Live server -16CPU, 80G Ram
we write about 2to3 16MB WAL files per minute
These get copied to the standby so its all there, just not being applied fast enough.

Any advice would be most welcome

Ta:)

Huda Booley
DBA | CareerJunction | Better jobs. More often.
Web: www.careerjunction.co.za |Email: huda(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za<mailto:huda(at)careerjunction(dot)co(dot)za>
Phone: +27 21 818 8635 | Mobile: +27 82 9587818 | Fax: +27 21 818 8609

Disclaimer
This message contains information intended solely for the addressee, which is confidential or private in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or any file attached to this message. Any such unauthorised use, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the original message from your machine.
Furthermore, the information contained in this message, and any attachments thereto, is for information purposes only and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of CareerJunction or its subsidiaries and associated companies. CareerJunction therefore does not accept liability for any claims, loss or damages of whatsoever nature, arising as a result of the reliance on such information by anyone.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, CareerJunction accepts no liability or responsibility whatsoever if information or data is, for whatever reason, incorrect, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.