Re: troubleshooting pointers

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: troubleshooting pointers
Date: 2002-05-12 03:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Um, that's probably not it then. Rescan would only come into play for
> a plan node that's being used as the inside of a join, or some other
> contexts more complicated than this. A simple view ought to make no
> difference at all in the generated plan --- perhaps there's some bit
> of the planner that you missed teaching about function RTEs or
> FunctionScan plan nodes?
>
> Anyway, I plan to review and apply your patch today, if I don't run
> into any major problems. Will look to see if I see a reason for the
> view trouble.

(Sorry for the slow response -- been out all day)

Actually I found late last night that when the view is used, the RTE is
a RangeVar, so the RangeFunction code never gets executed. So I think
your comment above is right on. That may well explain both problems.
I'll start looking again tonight.

Thanks,

Joe