Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified?

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified?
Date: 2002-05-11 01:34:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >

> > What should the backends return for complicated rewrites ?
> > And how should/could clients handle the results ?
> > It doesn't seem easy to me and it seems a flaw of rule
> > system. Honestly I don't think that the psqlodbc driver
> > can guarantee to handle such cases properly.
> > However both Ron's case and Michael's one are ordinary
> > updatable views. If we can't handle the case properly,
> > we could never recommend users to use (updatable) views.
>
> The fact that our rule system is that powerful that you can
> have multi-action rules is a flaw ... awe.

There's always a plus and a minus.
For generic applications the powerfulness is
a nuisance in a sense because it is difficult
for them to understand the intension of
complicated rewrites( and triggers as you
pointed out).
I don't think every application can handle
every case. The main point may be how the
applications can judge if they can handle
individual cases.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue
http://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/