Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports

From: Christof Petig <christof(at)petig-baender(dot)de>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date: 2002-05-06 07:49:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> hrmmmm ... do you have a working Windows development environment? I'm
> running WinXP at home, but don't have any of the compilers or anything
> yet, so all my work for the first part is going to be done under Unix ...
>
> but someone that knows something about building makefiles for Windows, and
> compiling under it, will definitely be a major asset ;)

I think if you are familiar with make and gcc (and perhaps autoconf),
MinGW and MSys are the development environment of choice on Windows. You
even get /bin/sh. But the generated program does not depend on any
custom library (like cygwin does). It's even possible to cross compile
from a Linux box (actully powerpc in my case).

Look at http://mingw.sourceforge.net (and there for msys).

Christof