Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "P(dot)J(dot) Josh Rovero" <rovero(at)sonalysts(dot)com>
Subject: Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server
Date: 2002-04-26 14:29:04
Lists: pgsql-general

postgres(at)vrane(dot)com wrote:

> 1. 64MB machines beat 192MB and 240MB machies.
>
> 2. On 64 MB machine I tested on 5400rpm drive
> and still much faster than athlon machine.
>
> 3. On sis machine I am using a separete ati agp card
> not the built in one and as a result
> i am using all memory.
>
> You would expect AMD machines to be at least
> slightly faster because cpu speed ratio are
> about 2 or bigger. You might not expect
> linear scaling but at least faster you know.
>
> Also as I said kernel compilation time
> scales almost linearly with cpu speed

Have you also run other tests to check out the
non-cpu parts of the two systems? If kernel
compiles (reasonably CPU intensive) scale with
CPU speed, then the odds are pretty good that
it's not the CPU that's slowing down your
DB tests. Try timing disk accesses with hdparm,
for example - this may be a disk controller
issue.

I'm assuming you've got postgres configured
appropriately for both machines, of course.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu
O sibile, si ergo. Fortibus es enaro.