Re: Beginner Programming Question

From: Andreas Kretzer <andi(at)kretzer-berlin(dot)de>
To: Postgres Interface List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Beginner Programming Question
Date: 2002-04-23 08:51:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jeff Flowers wrote:

> I am planning on using PostgreSQL and I would like to have a command line
> frontend. I am just now learning C, so my question is: what is the best way
> for a novice to get started? libpgeasy seems cool but there doesn't seem to
> be much in the way of examples for it.
>
> Also, has anyone designed a front-end using a shell, such as Bash?

Use 'psql' !

It's a simple SQL query backend and the use is straight forward! I use it regularly
to manage bad entries (-> user fault which are not correctable from application side)
and to discover strange things which lead to errors in my application.

The first arg to psql is the database name. If you miss it, your database will be your
user name (if it doesn't exist it will fail). Read the manual or try the online help

BTW: I use Tcl/Tk for my applications. It's easy to use, provides a graphical frontend
and is portable between Linux and Windows.

Hope this helps
Andreas