Speed or Performance

From: Keith Gray <keith(at)heart(dot)com(dot)au>
To: ODBC <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Speed or Performance
Date: 2002-04-19 03:02:58
Lists: pgsql-odbc

We have a VB/ADO application, which talks
via PostgreSQL/ODBC to our Linux Server.

(RedHat 7.2, PostgreSQL 7.1, PostgreSQL ODBC 7.1.9)

I have found PostgreSQL to be great for enquiry
on our ~350Mb database. Read speed is very good.

We have Primary key and some secondary indexes.

However, I have a speed issue with writing back.

Are there any speed tweaks regarding buffering
or configuration that I should check?

Does PostgreSQL rewrite indexes every write?

--
Keith Gray

Technical Development Manager
Heart Consulting Services P/L