Re: BLOB performance test FYI

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Joe Shevland <jshevland(at)j-elite(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>, Anders Bengtsson <ndrsbngtssn(at)yahoo(dot)se>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Date: 2002-04-18 17:02:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Joe,

I think at least initially things can be a lot simpler:

Joe Shevland wrote:

> * Using tools.jar to parse and compile the function source code

I would suggest that we just follow the lead of C functions. The
database doesn't compile your C source when you register a C function,
you just tell the database where the precompiled code is and what the
entry point is. To start with, I think the java version should do the
same. Tell the server the statuc class.method to run, but leave the
compiling and loading the classes to the user.

> * One JVM per PostgreSQL server (configurable via postgresql.conf)

Yes.

> * One classloader per database to keep things clean and separate

Sure.

> * JSP-like compilation - functions compiled when there is a change in the code, or first created. Otherwise remains memory resident as a class instance, and/or is created on server startup.

Overkill (at least initially) see my comments above.

> * Communication would be via JNI (Java<->C): the JVM would be assumed to be resident on the same server... unless we'd want to look at load balancing, again I keep thinking of the boundaries of what the db should do.

Should reuse the FE/BE protocol, and then much of the work is done in
the existing jdbc driver code

> * Mapping between Java and PG types handled by a central thing

Already handled by the existing FE/BE code in both jdbc and the server.

> Wading further and further into deep water here I think,
>
> Cheers,
> Joe

thanks,
--Barry