Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date: 2002-04-17 14:24:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

>Systems which have optimizing planners can *never* be guaranteed to
>generate the actual lowest-cost query plan. Any impression that Oracle,
>for example, actually does do that may come from a lack of visibility
>into the process, and a lack of forum for discussing these edge cases.

I wholly agree... Oracle has some fairly *sick* ideas at times about
what to do in the face of partial ambiguity. (I've got a small set of
queries that will drive any machine with PeopleSoft DBs loaded to near
catatonia...) :)

As far as the 'planner benchmark suite' so we cans tart gathering more
statistical data about what costs should be, or are better at, that's an
excellent idea.