Re: Operators and schemas

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Operators and schemas
Date: 2002-04-16 18:27:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> > I had imagined that pg_dump would emit commands such as this:
>
> > CREATE SCHEMA foo
> > CREATE TABLE bar ( ... )
> > CREATE otherthings
> > ;
>
> > which is how I read the SQL standard. Are there plans to implement the
> > CREATE SCHEMA command that way? I think I recall someone from Toronto
> > mentioning something along these lines.
>
> We have portions of that now, but I don't think there is any serious
> intent to support *all* Postgres CREATE statements inside CREATE SCHEMA.
> Because there are no semicolons in there, allowing random statements in
> CREATE SCHEMA tends to force promotion of keywords to full-reserved
> status (so you can tell where each sub-statement starts). My
> inclination is to allow the minimum necessary for SQL spec compliance.
>
> (Fernando, your thoughts here?)

I agree. And for Entry level SQL'92 we are done -- only tables, views
and grants are required. The multiple schemas per user is already
an intermediate SQL feature -- for intermediate SQL'92 we would still
need domains and a character set specification.

For SQL'99, we would have to add types, functions and triggers
(only triggers are not part of Core SQL'99, but I would not leave them out).

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com