Re: Notify argument?

From: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)dynworks(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notify argument?
Date: 2002-03-20 15:24:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway wrote:

> > I am curious, why does notify not support a string argument of some kind, to
> > pass to the other connections? It seems it would be a little more useful.
> Actually, I think that Oracle's implementation of this feature actually
> allows for a user-specified string argument.

Commercial Ingres allowed one to specify a string also. I'm guessing
that the feature was not implemented in PostgreSQL *not* because there
is some good database design reason to leave it out, but rather because
someone did not bother to put it in.

> AFAICT it shouldn't be too difficult. However, there is a note in the
> TODO list referring to breaking backwards compatability with the
> "pgNotify API". Exactly how backwards compatible do we need to be?

imho not much in this case (though of course we may find a way to be
very compatible when someone actually implements it). I had found the
equivalent feature very useful when building a large data handling
system a few years ago, and I'd think that it would be useful in
PostgreSQL also. Comments?

- Thomas