Re: Beating Oracle

From: Bruce Badger <bbadger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beating Oracle
Date: 2002-03-01 04:01:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

>Bruce Badger <bbadger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com> writes:
>
>>Due to network glitch, a PostgreSQL connection over IP is being dropped.
>>

>Perhaps there is something wrong with your TCP stacks. I do not think
>it's Postgres' responsibility to second-guess the network transport
>code...
>
> regards, tom lane

Not *my* stack, BTW, but that aside I agree with you. The people
involved suspect that a firewall is causing the problem.

The thing is that from their point of view, Oracle keeps going where
PostgreSQL does not. Given that both are running over the same network,
the response of these people could well be to simply move everything to
Oracle.

The question, then, is: what can we PostgreSQL people can do to match
this Oracle ability??