Re: linking from SQL Server

From: Oleg Lebedev <olebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>
To: "Steve Boyle (Roselink)" <boylesa(at)roselink(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: linking from SQL Server
Date: 2002-01-30 19:54:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

I got OPENQUERY to work with postgres database linked from SQL Server.
The following works fine:
SELECT activitytypename FROM
OPENQUERY ('webspec', 'select * from activitytype');

However, when I try to do smth like:
SELECT activitytypename FROM webspec.webspec..activitytype;
SELECT activitytypename FROM webspec.postgres.webspec.activitytype;
SELECT activitytypename FROM webspec.pg_database.webspec.activitytype;
I get the same error:
Invalid use of schema and/or catalog for OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL'. A
four-part name was supplied, but the provider does not expose the
necessary interfaces to use a catalog and/or schema.

Can anyone tell me if postgres supports catalogs and schemas similar to SQL
Server. How can I find out this information for my database?
thanks,

Oleg