Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date: 2002-01-22 21:02:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Huh? You seem to be assuming that we need to support both the
> historical Postgres behavior and the SQL-standard behavior with exactly
> the same configuration switches. That's not how I'm seeing it at all.
> The way I'm envisioning it, you could get either the historical
> behavior, or the standard's behavior, depending on how you set up the
> configuration variables.

Then we can live just with the schema being the ownership.

Switches set to standard:

schema search path = ("user's own schema", postgres)

[ default creation schema = user's own schema ] same as below,
we don't need this
switch

Switches set to historical:

schema search path = (user's own schema, "any" schema, postgres)

[ default creation schema = user's own schema ]

The searching in "any" schema (i.e., any owner) will let will find
things that where defined the way they are today, i.e., possibly
by several different users.

P.S.: You can even add the "default" schema in the standard case and
I believe you are still compliant and can handle things easier:
schema search path = ("user's own schema", postgres)

Maybe you could give an example of a case where the schema meaning
ownership breaks things. Or what kind of additional things you have
in mind that would require orthogonal schema and ownership spaces.

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com