Re: RServ replication

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Turbo Fredriksson <turbo(at)bayour(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RServ replication
Date: 2002-01-16 20:59:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> Quoting mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>:

> > > mlw> I asked a while back, is anyone managing this project? It has
> > > mlw> scripts that just plain don't work.
> > >
> > > It works. Not like a charm, but it works. Also, it's a nightmare to setup.
> >
> > The ApplySnapshot script doesn't work at all. It is a mess.
>
> It works, it's just _VERY_ (!!!) picky about the system is correctly setup...
>
> I'll send you my 'rServ setup script' (kind'a), and you can see how I do it...

For instance, (in ApplySnapshot.in) the line:

my $conn = Pg::connectdb(sinfo);

Should be:

my $conn = Pg::connectdb($sinfo);

There are a lot of these errors. The snapshot file parameter is not used
in all the scripts, the server string is always zero, and so on. It
really is a mess.

The trigger function and the internal stuff works well enough.

I have actually got the "Replacate" script working but I need to
replicatate to multiple servers. I was contemplating using
"PrepareSnapshot" followed by multiple "ApllySnapshot" calls.

I am spending a few hours rewriting "RServ.pm" in C++ to make a daemon
which will automatically replicate out to multiple servers. (I can't
stand perl)