Re: Connection Pooling, a year later

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Mark Pritchard <mark(at)tangent(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection Pooling, a year later
Date: 2001-12-18 16:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Pritchard wrote:

>>I think it is the startup cost that most people want to avoid, and our's
>>is higher than most db's that use threads; at least I think so.
>>
>>It would just be nice to have it done internally rather than have all
>>the clients do it, iff it can be done cleanly.
>>

> I'd add that client side connection pooling isn't effective in some cases
> anyway - one application we work with has 4 physical application servers
> running around 6 applications. Each of the applications was written by a
> different vendor, and thus a pool size of five gives you 120 open
> connections.

Tuning a central pooling mechanism to run well in this kind of situation
isn't going to be a trivial task, either. The next thing you'll want is
some way to prioritize the various clients so your more serious
applications have a better chance of getting a pool.

Or you'll want to set up subpools so they don't compete with each other,
in effect replicating what's done now, but adding more complexity to the
central service.

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR