Re: RedHat6.2 - postgres 7.1.2 lib confusion

From: Colm McCartan <colmm(at)owl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RedHat6.2 - postgres 7.1.2 lib confusion
Date: 2001-12-11 16:45:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> Colm McCartan <colmm(at)owl(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>

>>I also wrote to the redhat rpm newsgroup about a problem that I and
>>several colleagues have frequently seen with rpm - it will happily
>>install an RPM and then report it uninstalled.
>>

> Not having seen that, I'm pretty certain that's user error.

How polite. ;-)

> You can't do "rpm -q foo-1.1-1.i386.rpm", the packagename is (usually,
> find out for sure by using "rpm -qip: on the file) "foo".

Trond - you have solved a mystery that has long irritated myself and
several much more able colleagues.

Could you arrange to have this placed in bold at the top of the rpm FAQ?
Or better yet, a usage reminder in the report? I have honestly seen
grown men near to tears over this one...

Thanks a lot!
colm