Re: RedHat6.2 - postgres 7.1.2 lib confusion

From: Colm McCartan <colmm(at)owl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RedHat6.2 - postgres 7.1.2 lib confusion
Date: 2001-12-11 13:32:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 December 2001 10:42 am, colm wrote:
>
>>Basically, I am trying to move from 6.5.3 to 7.1.2 on RedHat 6.2 with
>>as little mucking around with RH as possible. I have an upgraded rpm
>>(3.0.5) so I was able to fetch the 6.2 rpms from the ftp area and
>>kicked off with:
>>

>>postgresql-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
>>postgresql-docs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
>>postgresql-libs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
>>postgresql-server-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
>>

>>Immediately calling rpm -Uvh on these gives a dependency
>>problem:error: failed dependencies:
>>

>>I find this odd because I have libcrypto.so.02 and libssl.. Heres my
>>/usr/lib :
>>

> Is your ssl from an RPM install of 0.95? The official RedHat packages were
> used on the machine that did that build -- ftp.redhat.de may still have them.
> RPM dependencies don't check to see if the file exists in the filesystem --
> it checks to see if the required dependency is in the RPM database. This is
> why my advice is to either always use RPM's or to never use RPM's.

If I understand your question correctly, then yes (but it is openssl
0.9.6)...

I also wrote to the redhat rpm newsgroup about a problem that I and
several colleagues have frequently seen with rpm - it will happily
install an RPM and then report it uninstalled. I hoped this had been
cleared up with 3.0.5 but apparently not - it now tells me that postgres
isn't installed, despite the fact that I'm connecting to it from a
remote machine and hitting it with several hundred queries an hour(!).

To be fair, the RedHat site recommends rpm 4.0.2 for all distributions
5.x to 7.0, but I have other dependencies that I'm worried about
breaking on this particular machine.

I freely admit to using rpms whenevr they are available.

>>postmaster does not find the database system.
>> Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory "/usr/share/pgsql",
>> but unable to open file "/usr/share/pgsql/global/pg_control": No such
>>file or directory
>>

> The database system isn't there. It's in /var/lib/pgsql/data.

I finally figured this by reading the startup script - I didn't realise
it was smart enough to go check in the old dir. To be honest, there
seems to be a great deal of variance among the docs and confusion as to
where postgres goes in a standard install - true of many other packages
though. As soon as I sorted this out, the db came up happily and is
doing a very nice job.

Many thanks for any responses,

colm