Re: Analyzer for postgresql.log

From: Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fiol(at)w3ping(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tielman J de Villiers <tjdevil(at)bondnet(dot)co(dot)za>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Analyzer for postgresql.log
Date: 2001-12-11 08:30:09
Lists: pgsql-general

A quick comparison. Sorry about my /partial/ point of view. Gilles
DAROLD is on BCC: so that he can also give his opinion.

His is very nice, but the main point in mine is completely different. I
focus on TIMING the different types of queries, to be able to add times
up and know which ones are more important to optimize.

I think his parsing of requests is far better than mine, however. I just
did not do any better because I did not need any better ;-)

He is generating nice graphs. I just output some bare numbers.

He minds when queries are executed. I do not mind about that at all.

Mine is completely focused to later optimization. His is focusing reporting.

He is targetting some public. I wrote it for me. (Yes, I am probably
more egoist ;-)

Note that I am not saying that mine is better. It is simply different.

Gilles: You will be able to find the AWK script on PostgreSQL archives.
If you wish me to send it to you directly, please e-mail me.

Gilles (again): If you want to respond to the whole PostgreSQL-general
list, you may need to subscribe. And sorry for abruptly including you on
this mailing list thread. Your address is now on BCC, so that you can
keep it protected from others it if you wish.

Gilles (once again): If you feel that the script I wrote fits into your
pack, it is under GPL. Just include it ;-)

Justin: Thank you for showing other possibilities. For web log analysis,
Gilles' software is definitely the choice.

Have a nice day!

Antonio Fiol