Re: Backends staying around

From: "Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backends staying around
Date: 2001-12-05 12:25:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5 Dec 2001, at 0:00, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Maybe you have some form of persistant connections? At least in unix,
> a socket is closed automatically when all processes owning the
> endpoint die off or close it.

Thanks for your reply! I have connection pooling turned on in ODBC
on the NT machine, but this is supposed to let clients re-use the
connections, so in theory at least the number of backends
shouldn't rise beyond a certain level - IIS always uses the same
username/password to connect to the database, so connection
pooling ought to be pretty efficient. I'll double-check how the
connections are handled in the COM components called from IIS.

--Ray.

Raymond O'Donnell http://www.iol.ie/~rod/organ
rod(at)iol(dot)ie The Irish Pipe Organ Page