Re: FW: [CYGWIN] 7.2b3 postmaster doesn't start on Win98

From: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: [CYGWIN] 7.2b3 postmaster doesn't start on Win98
Date: 2001-12-04 04:07:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> > I'll write and test something with cygwin this week if that would help. (If
> > someone can get to it first it is something stupid like "GetWindowsVersion()"
> > or something like that.
>
> Well, the non-stupid part is to know which return values correspond to
> Windows versions that have proper file permissions and which values to
> versions that don't. Given that NT and the other versions are two
> separate code streams (no?), I'm not sure that distinguishing this is
> trivial, and even less sure that we should assume all future Windows
> releases will have it. I'd be more comfortable with an autoconf-like
> approach: actually probe the desired feature and see if it works.
>
> I was thinking this morning about trying to chmod the directory and,
> if that doesn't report an error, assuming that all is well. On Windows
> it'd presumably claim success despite not being able to do what is asked
> for. But this would definitely require testing.
>
> I'm really not happy about the idea of holding up the release for this...

It is a trivial peice of code to write, there is a bit mask that indicates the
technology. Be it DOS or NT. I will be able to get to it over the week.

The proper test would be to test for "known" DOS legacy because all future
Windows versions will be at least capable of file permissions.

The function call is GetVersionEx(...) it accepts a structure:

Platform SDK: Windows System Information

OSVERSIONINFO

The OSVERSIONINFO data structure contains operating system version
information.
The information includes major and minor version numbers, a build number, a
platform identifier, and descriptive text about the operating system. This
structure is
used with the GetVersionEx function.

typedef struct _OSVERSIONINFO{
DWORD dwOSVersionInfoSize;
DWORD dwMajorVersion;
DWORD dwMinorVersion;
DWORD dwBuildNumber;
DWORD dwPlatformId;
TCHAR szCSDVersion[ 128 ];
} OSVERSIONINFO;

Members

dwOSVersionInfoSize
Specifies the size, in bytes, of this data structure. Set this member to
sizeof(OSVERSIONINFO) before calling the GetVersionEx function.
dwMajorVersion
Identifies the major version number of the operating system as follows.
Operating System
Value
Windows 95
4
Windows 98
4
Windows Me
4
Windows NT 3.51
3
Windows NT 4.0
4
Windows 2000
5
Windows XP
5
Windows .NET Server
5

dwMinorVersion
Identifies the minor version number of the operating system as follows.
Operating System
Value
Windows 95
0
Windows 98
10
Windows Me
90
Windows NT 3.51
51
Windows NT 4.0
0
Windows 2000
0
Windows XP
1
Windows .NET Server
1

dwBuildNumber
Windows NT/2000/XP: Identifies the build number of the operating system.

Windows 95/98/Me: Identifies the build number of the operating system in
the
low-order word. The high-order word contains the major and minor version
numbers.
dwPlatformId
Identifies the operating system platform. This member can be one of the
following values.
Value
Platform
VER_PLATFORM_WIN32s
Win32s on Windows 3.1.
VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS
Windows 95, Windows 98, or
Windows Me.
VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT
Windows NT 3.51,
Windows NT 4.0,
Windows 2000, Windows XP,
or Windows .NET Server.

szCSDVersion
Windows NT/2000/XP: Contains a null-terminated string, such as "Service
Pack 3", that indicates the latest Service Pack installed on the system.
If no Service
Pack has been installed, the string is empty.

Windows 95/98/Me: Contains a null-terminated string that indicates
additional
version information. For example, " C" indicates Windows 95 OSR2 and " A"
indicates Windows 98 Second Edition.