spectral datasets in postgresql

From: Glenn Sullivan <glenn(dot)sullivan(at)varianinc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: spectral datasets in postgresql
Date: 2001-11-15 22:32:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Is it possible/feasible/desirable to use postgresql to hold large spectral
datasets. The dataset would consist of a number of attributes and a
spectrum. The spectrum is simply a list of floating point values. However,
there can be from 128 points to 32 million points for one spectrum.

There would then of course be thousands of these spectra.

I don't know how you would save those 32 million points. If you can do
so, I don't know if it is a feasible way to use postgresql.

I welcome your comments.

Glenn