Re: [HACKERS] MD5-based passwords

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] MD5-based passwords
Date: 2001-11-09 03:27:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

I think we need to evaluate each patch on a case by case basis. With
that said, there certainly are guidelines we probably should follow:
1) new functionality = next release
2) bugfix (simple or low risk fix) = this release
3) bugfix (complex or high risk fix) = next release (unless it is
really important and gets a lot of testing and extensive code review
then possibly this release)

If we are going to start to see a lot of activity for jdbc (something I
am certainly hoping for), we might decide to have a jdbc only release
between 7.2 and 7.3 as the next release. We could create a branch in
CVS for this work if necessary then release the result on the
jdbc.postgresql.org web site. I don't think this work should go into
the 7.2.x branch.

thanks,
--Barry