View consistency

From: "David M(dot) Richter" <d(dot)richter(at)dkfz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: View consistency
Date: 2001-11-01 14:20:31
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Hello!

Im using several views for the Usermanagment of a database.
My question is:

How does postgres keep the views consistent to the according tables( if
the original table has been changed)?

Is there a Rule? and how is the Rule invoked. With ON DELETE UPDATE
INSERT of the original table?
I didnt found any Rule in pg_rules.
There should be a rule, because I cannot imagine another way wich tells
the view that the table has been changed.

The problem is: If updating the view takes too much time after every
little manipulation, I couldnt use views for usermanagement because of
performance problems.
Any hints and facts?

Thanks in advance

David