Re: Proposed new create command, CREATE OPERATOR CLASS

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)stack(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden(at)netbsd(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: Proposed new create command, CREATE OPERATOR CLASS
Date: 2001-10-25 08:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>Wait a second, how can you do that? Doesn't that violate
>>pg_amop_opc_strategy_index ?
>>

> It sure does, but running the script shows that the second insert
> doesn't try to insert any rows. There's no entry in the temp table
> for ~~ because its left and right operands are not the types the
> SELECT/INTO is looking for.
>
> This is evidently a bug in the script. Oleg?

Make me right if I mistake.

When we was developing operator @@, I saw that postgres don't use index in
select if operation has not commutator. But operator with different types in
argument can't be commutator with itself. So I maked operator ~~ only for
postgres can use index access for operator @@. There is no any difficulties to
adding index support for operator ~~. The same things is with contrib/tsearch
module.

But I think that there is not any other necessity in presence ~~.

--
Teodor Sigaev
teodor(at)stack(dot)net