Re: Disable Transaction - plans ?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com, Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>, "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, Ben-Nes Michael <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable Transaction - plans ?
Date: 2001-10-25 05:02:23
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I guess I do not understand the motivation for this proposal.
> Its only based upon Oracle precedence, really. People start up
> SQL*Plus, issue a few statements, and quit...

... and it is clearly behavior in other databases also (e.g. Ingres).
These two at least date from the early 1980's. Somehow, the database
community is accustomed to this behavior, and though I'm not sure I'd
insist on using it in my applications I'm also not sure why we should
not provide a similar level of functionality and behavior as an option.

- Thomas