Re: MEDIAN as custom aggregate?

From: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MEDIAN as custom aggregate?
Date: 2001-10-12 21:34:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

Can't you do something like

select age from ages order by age limit 1 offset (select count(*) from ages)/2;

except you can't nest the select so you'll have to use a variable to hold it...

Make sure it does the right thing when there is an odd number of rows.

I don't understand why you want the median and not some parameters of your assumed distribution (mean and variance, for example) but each to his own...

Allan.